AI Recapper's Retreat

The Retreat spawns from the Television Without Pity American Idol Forum. Primarily for your longer form recaps, a place outside of the flow of the crazy episode threads. This way we can enjoy/comment/encourage/rationalize these long posts more easily. We spend the time on them, here's another spot for them to have 'life'. Not a forum replacement but a sub-set: Post there, paste here! Or more? We'll see. Oh, and NO SPOILERS! Welcome back for a new year of soul crushing pimping of Chosen Ones. -WS

See the FAQish to get access to reply and post. It should also answer 'getting started' questions.
Click here to create a new post, edit your post by clicking the 'pencil' icon.


Friday, February 18, 2005


AI Animated GIFs
by Wandering Snark



Figured I'd start this off re-quoting the post with the links to the two animated GIFs I made from the auditions:


I started out by making this what I think is fairly amusing animated gif/slideshow of the guy who was obsessed with Neil Diamond (with the stabbing and the bug eyes etc.). At the time I actually made two but I only posted the one I called Shine On You Crazy (Neil) Diamond. BTW I have a larger version of that if anyone is interested, drop me an email.

Later on I posted: I figured I'd post something that when I made it was just plain too damn disturbing for me to reconcile posting.

I took a bunch of 'caps and made them into a flip-book type thing of his stabby singing stylings, it's disturbing. The thing that freaked my shit out though is that those 12 'caps or so yeilded an end product in which he is clearly mouthing 'stabby stabby stabby' as you watch it loop and it pops back to the inital frame. I shit you not... this was in no way intentional and yeah it freaks me out.

My therapist said that it would help to ask other people if they saw the same thing...

Post a Comment
Blogger FellowWaitress sez:

Okay, I know I'm going to come off as Precious Molly Do-Good here, but I have to step in, in defense of Mister Bug-Eye. (Don't stab me!)

I remember when this came on, my boyfriend said, "God, that guy is CREE. PEE."

And then they told the little story about how he was deaf as a child, and he wished on Neil Diamond's bling or something, and he got his hearing back while coming to America, blah blah blah...

Anyway, it occurs to me that maybe his wide-eye stare thing came from an early habit of trying to focus intently on people speaking to him, in effort to discern their meaning, given his handicap. I think that's likely, actually, and though it's unfortunate to look at, it's not something I think ought to be mocked... I mean, not once you know the cause. YMMV, of course.

As for the stabbing thing, I think he's going for the power/affirmative gesture and just failing miserably. HE TOTALLY looks like he's saying "stabby" in that gif! HAH!


 
Blogger Wandering Snark sez:

Oh thankgahd I'm not the only one who saw the 'stabby' thing!!

I feel like saying something like 'The eyes have it' but yeah it could be from listening over-intently. I found it kind of endearing in a bizarre way, actually. So it wasn't intended to be mean-spirited in the way AI's portrayal of Mary Gilbeaux was...


 
Blogger wasimmerdude sez:

Dude, I LOVE the image of Paula in the middle of the GIF. It's absolutely priceless. I missed the episode where this guy sang, and thus only heard about it in retrospect, so I missed out on how creepy it was. But, it seems like it was awesome and downright creepy at the same time.


 
Post a Comment